atarionline.pl POKEY 4 Channel music - Forum Atarum

Jeśli chcesz wziąć udział w dyskusjach na forum - zaloguj się. Jeżeli nie masz loginu - poproś o członkostwo.

• :
  • :

Vanilla 1.1.4 jest produktem Lussumo. Więcej informacji: Dokumentacja, Forum.

• 1: CommentAuthoremkay
    • CommentTime17 Mar 2017

What do you think? It's 4 channel 1 VBI programmed.

• 2: CommentAuthoremkay
    • CommentTime17 Mar 2017 zmieniony

Actually, I never thought for myself that POKEY could do a tune, SID never can reach. This seems the 1st one.
    SID cannot do those cool drums, SID cannot do this straight basses, SID cannot do this frequency range, nor 4 channels.... but POKEY can reach the needed resolution.... reached just with standard RMT...
    • 3: CommentAuthorGonzo
    • CommentTime17 Mar 2017

zapomnij o tym, przecież tu każdy instrument żyje swoim życiem, nie da się tego słuchać, taka prawda...
    • 4: CommentAuthoremkay
    • CommentTime17 Mar 2017

What you are writing is simply not true. Perhaps you might not like the sounding, it be your taste.
    • 5: CommentAuthorpin
    • CommentTime18 Mar 2017

.. co to za koszmarne kakofony?

Papo, Portos, Kaka-de-mo-na ;)

• 6: CommentAuthoremkay
    • CommentTime18 Mar 2017

".. co to za koszmarne kakofony?"

Those words from you were like a blessing .
    • 7: CommentAuthormarok
    • CommentTime18 Mar 2017

Definitly, I like. :)
    (Besides to all of the tech specifications I can't too much refer to. Sorry.)
    • 8:

CommentAuthoranonymus
    • CommentTime18 Mar 2017

A bit too long, but overall nice track
    • 9: CommentAuthorpin
    • CommentTime18 Mar 2017

.. czyli że co, nie fałszuje? :D
    • 10: CommentAuthormarok
    • CommentTime18 Mar 2017

Ja tu niczego fałszującego nie słyszę.

I czym dłużej słucham, tym bardziej mi się podoba. :)
    • 11: CommentAuthoremkay
    • CommentTime18 Mar 2017

@marok everything is fine with that tune. It's just you cannot expect the sound of "thousands" of euro equipment.
    • 12: CommentAuthoremkay
    • CommentTime18 Mar 2017

It's music as intended back in the 80s to be played on computers while most POKEY tunes sounded flat and melodic shrinked. Seems I found a solution to get a better scale of real notes. It also sounds "fresh" and not "muffled" just like SIDs.
    • 13:

CommentAuthoranonymus
    • CommentTime18 Mar 2017 zmieniony

Pewnie fałszuje jak połowa muzaków z mojej młodości. Ale hej, to nie konkurs szopenowski
    • 14: CommentAuthoremkay
    • CommentTime18 Mar 2017

@anonymous You know the problem. Even a Chopin cannot play piano music without a piano....
    • 15: CommentAuthorwieczor
    • CommentTime19 Mar 2017 zmieniony

@anonymous: ale jest pewne minimum przyzwoitości

@emkay: nothing is fine with that tune. I've found your experiments with pokey sound interesting, but this one:

1. Shows nothing specific, it's just typical pokey sound
    2. Doesn't keep melody line at all
    3. Actually is one of worst arrangement I ever heard :) Many people shows that pokey music can sound good but it can't be forced. You're doing it by arrangement mostly, clever percussion shape - and filters.

No specific tricks are needed. Check this out

That's how it should sound like ;)
    • 16: CommentAuthoremkay
    • CommentTime19 Mar 2017

wieczor If you prefer that version, you hate music. That one is neither fitting together neither complete. It's only the start that sounds good.
    • 17: CommentAuthoremkay

At 1:28 to 2:10 it plays a different tune and drops a lot of notes though.
    A 2:40 to 3:10 it plays some wierd sounds.... then turns back to standard POKEY sounds .... and so on.

Also, I find it really interresting to talk to people who claim to know the Atari and name "my tune" standard POKEY sound. Show me one other arrangement , using those "standard" sounds. Including that wide range ....
    • 18: CommentAuthoremkay
    • CommentTime19 Mar 2017

... not to forget that my tune is just using 1 VBI speed
    • 19: CommentAuthorwieczor

emkay:

... not to forget that my tune is just using 1 VBI speed

That one from XLent as well. 2VBI or more are rare, and mainly used for music compos as it's hard to find CPU time for something else. It's possible but rather not in game.

emkay:

If you prefer that version, you hate music. That one is neither fitting together neither complete. It's only the start that sounds good.

I don't know really how to comment this one... That one is at least A MUSIC, what hardly can be said about your ;)

It's fitting and complete. Sounds good all the time. Your doesn't event start good, it's cacophony. Percussion like programmed in BASIC in 80's, no sound changing, simple "clapping". Sounds don't keep tuning.
    But after comment above, I can see further discussion makes no point, as usually when false arguments are coming :) Good luck please continue, perhaps one day you'll get the difference ;)
    • 20: CommentAuthoremkay
    • CommentTime19 Mar 2017

hahahaaaaaahaaaa.....
    • 21: CommentAuthoremkay
    • CommentTime19 Mar 2017

There are for now 2 nice renditions available. One is the Amiga version, and nor the POKEY version. Even The SID version plays false basses, but who cares, and the ST version seems to detune intentionally... But, it's OK. I've given up to wait for some useful pokey music from your side.
    • 22: CommentAuthorwieczor
    • CommentTime19 Mar 2017

I don't know if it makes any point, as there is a serious problem with hearing what can be diagnosed from above opinion about other versions :) It's big difference between portamentos and detunes, but anyway - I haven't done version of above.

Argument - show that you can do better - is false in any discussion what have been proven many times :) Anyway my music is not very hard to find, but I suppose you'll say that I hate music doing something like this ;)
    • 23: CommentAuthoremkay
    • CommentTime19 Mar 2017

Many SID original weren't really in tune. As they tried to bring broader sounds to the SID. Well, people like(d) it though, as in those days it was something exceptional. Playing the same tunes on modern music equipment, makes music of it. I know, if one likes those chiptunes, he has to be biased already. Actually, I don't like most of POKEY stuff. Some tunes are very good and fit to the projects done. Using all CPU plus 2 POKEYs and still the flaws kept. That shows why there is no progress in POKEY music. People like that overall false sound and name it POKEY music. Any try to make it sounding right will be blocked, not because it's bad, it's just not wanted. Particular the tunes GONZO uses in his Demos were all horrible and have nothing to do with any harmonics. I wonder , what makes them thinking it had something to do with music? Or that latest release of "Bad Apple" the "tune" is tremendously horrid , not even out of tune but out of face and everything that had harmonic in it's name had run away. I know my version isn't perfect, as it is a conversion from a 11 channel XM. But the tune in the Demo is directly SID imported. It should sound perfectly like a SID. Aren't you ashamed of that , releasing that as a demonstration of what the Atari can do?
    • 24: CommentAuthoremkay
    • CommentTime19 Mar 2017

.... I am.
    • 25: CommentAuthoremkay
    • CommentTime19 Mar 2017

Does this also sound off to you?

• 26:

CommentAuthorcrrn
    • CommentTime20 Mar 2017

• 27: CommentAuthoremkay
    • CommentTime20 Mar 2017

that'S really funny :)