atarionline.pl Someone interested - Forum Atarum

Jeśli chcesz wziąć udział w dyskusjach na forum - zaloguj się. Jeżeli nie masz loginu - poproś o członkostwo.

• :
  • :

Vanilla 1.1.4 jest produktem Lussumo. Więcej informacji: Dokumentacja, Forum.

• 1: CommentAuthoremkay
    • CommentTime6 Aug 2013 zmieniony

... to create a demo around this?

It's standard RMT single VBI usage.
    • 2: CommentAuthorwieczor

That should be something psychedelic - I mean demo - and could make a damage for whole life ;)

Anyway, sounds remind me Ruff&Reddy a little bit.
    • 3: CommentAuthoremkay

OK. I saved a live and deleted it .
    • 4:

CommentAuthorxeen
    • CommentTime6 Aug 2013

give us a chance :) I have just seen your post ;)
    • 5:

CommentAuthorTenchi
    • CommentTime7 Aug 2013

I would also like to check that, whatever it was - wieczor has made me wonder, because I simply love psychedelic and damaging things. :)
    • 6: CommentAuthorwieczor
    • CommentTime7 Aug 2013

@emkay: I didn't say that it's bad :) It's just... ekhm... not typical :) Psychedelic climats are ok - it was just my opinion what type of demo would match that music. BTW: have you seen this?... It could be a good idea:

Just do not watch after alcohol/drugs ... ;)
    • 7: CommentAuthorseban
    • CommentTime7 Aug 2013

hahahaahah! Wieczór! :) ja pierniczę, ale odlot ;)

This make My Day! :D
    • 8: CommentAuthorwieczor
    • CommentTime7 Aug 2013 zmieniony

Kolo - cyriak - ma tego więcej, polecam cały jego kanał. Uwaga na bad tripy :) Nie, nie mam pojęcia co on zażywa :)
    • 9:

CommentAuthorTenchi
    • CommentTime7 Aug 2013

Rzeczywiście, dealera ma bardzo fachowego. Normalnie strach się bać.
    • 10: CommentAuthoremkay
    • CommentTime9 Aug 2013 zmieniony

OK. Another try ;)
    Please keep in mind that the tune is build in RMT which isn't really accurate in programming POKEY's sounds. So it STILL is more a sound than a music demonstration.
    Playback is done using Altirra where the sounds were more close to the real thing. A direct programming to POKEY's original sounding would result in even more variations and precise notes.

• 11: CommentAuthorwieczor
    • CommentTime10 Aug 2013

That's actually quite good - I would say it would be waste to use it in demo - I would use it in good game - but really good - platform/adventure perhaps.
    • 12: CommentAuthoremkay
    • CommentTime17 Aug 2013

Actually. The response of "0" tells words. And that's why the "A8 scene"leaves me senseless.
    In german we use the term "Perlen vor die Säue werfen".
    I'm really leaving this nonsense, because there is no "learnig by doing" effect. Looking back at Atariage , 10 years of sounding demonstrations resulted in "0" results. Also, people prefer the "not like music sounding" style of POKEY. Well, keep doing the same old crap as usual.
    Bye.
    • 13: CommentAuthorwieczor
    • CommentTime17 Aug 2013 zmieniony

I'm deeply sorry emkay, but you have to admit, that you presented some pretty interesting sounds technics, but when musicians started to ask you for details, you remained very enigmatic :) These words about making the same old crap I guess are not targeted at me - I'm very open for experiments with POKEY sound, and I'm trying to prove that :)

Please do not expect many answers immediately - it's just hobby for people and we have not so much time to play with it. When I was giving opinions about music you posted, I meant music itself rather, cause I'm always very excited about SOUND that you are able to do. But you know...

I'm a musician on that scene, so obviously even if I'll do some code, I probably will do it with my own music :)

I downloaded videos with your music played from RMT, tried to replicate some instruments or techniques, but wasn't to successful - perhaps one day. I'm not sure where you're really heading - do you want musicians to start use your techiniques? Demonstrations you're doing are not very educative - it's hard to figure out HOW to replicate it. Please upload source file to look at it closely, you'll see efects.
    • 14: CommentAuthorAdam
    • CommentTime17 Aug 2013 zmieniony

emkay:

In german we use the term "Perlen vor die Säue werfen".

Yeah, we know that phrase: "casting pearls before swine" / "rzucać perły przed wieprze"... :)

You shouldn't give up, Emkay, you're doing really interesting things with sound.
    • 15: CommentAuthoremkay
    • CommentTime18 Aug 2013

It seems not possible to transport the "needed" part of an explanation, when writing something into a forum, as it seems. The explanation that POKEY has simple logics and 4 channels that add the sounding directly as digital waves add in physics.
    You just have to manage the "time" where the waves of the different channels have to be set in their relation.
    Also, without a Tracker that ist supporting "POKEY really native" , every explanation can get understood wrongly.
    As you might see: It is doable in RMT even due to all the limits, and it works in single VBI speed on one POKEY.
    Using the "cancelling" in a timed way , gives much more volume steps than only 16 ... and so on.
    • 16: CommentAuthorseban
    • CommentTime18 Aug 2013

offtopic mode on:

Akurat najmniej mnie ta cała dyskusja dotyczy, bo nie jestem muzykiem, jednak uważam iż z "rzucaniem pereł przed wieprze" to emkay przesadził. nie było to zbytnio uprzejme.

Mogę zrozumieć jego frustrację tym iż od lat próbuje pokazać "inne brzmienie Pokey-a" i nikt z tego nie potrafi korzystać. Ale to nie jest powód do wywyższania się traktowania i traktowania wszystkich jako wieprzy, przed które kolega emkay perły rzuca.

A to dlaczego inni nie wykorzystują tego to już dokładnie wieczór napisał. Zresztą, ostatnia odpowiedź potwierdza dokładnie słowa kolegi wieczora.
    • 17: CommentAuthornodez
    • CommentTime18 Aug 2013 zmieniony

gdyby byl jakis tracker z obsluga tego to napewno ktos by tego uzywal
    i tyle
    • 18: CommentAuthorwieczor
    • CommentTime18 Aug 2013

Chyba się nie zrozumieliśmy - emkay zaprezentował przykłady zrobione w RMT. Ten tracker chyba istnieje, a przynajmniej tak mi się wydawało ostatnio ;) Jeśli dobrze zrozumiałem - a tego nie jestem do końca pewny - to narzekanie na brak obsługi czegoś dotyczyło pewnych szczególnych opcji, wypowiedzieć się jednak o nich nie mogę, bo nie do końca rozumiem cały proces i o to chodzi :) Nikt nie zrobi nowego, lepszego trackera, bo nikt nie rozumie co on miałby mieć. Zacytuję: " It is doable in RMT even due to all the limits, and it works in single VBI speed on one POKEY". Więc chodzi o to żeby robić to bardziej "natywnie".

Jeden przykład mówi więcej niż 1000 słów. Rozumiem jednak że chodzi o wykorzystywanie specyficznego "dudnienia" czy "interferencji" między dwoma kanałami, to jednak jest ogół i chętnie bym obejrzał źródłowy plik RMT aby dokładnie zrozumieć o co chodzi, a nie film na youtubie. Nie mam absolutnie pojęcia co to w tym wypadku jest "cancelling" i jak to się FIZYCZNIE robi. Nie opisano nawet natury tego procesu nie mówiąc nawet o żywym przykładzie. PLIK! A może i sam trackera bym zrobił. Oczywiście można mówić - poeksperymentuj sam - jasne, ale chodzi o to, że ktoś już zrobił.
    • 19: CommentAuthornodez
    • CommentTime18 Aug 2013

o ile dobrze pamietam to ktos juz o tym pisal
    i o ile sie nie myle chodzi o resetowanie jakiegos rejestru pokeya
    • 20: CommentAuthormarok
    • CommentTime18 Aug 2013

"Nie mam absolutnie pojęcia co to w tym wypadku jest "cancelling" i jak to się FIZYCZNIE robi."

Wydaje mi sie ze moze chodzic o ten rejestr:

(za Atariki)
    "$D209 (W) STIMER
    Zapis tego rejestru powoduje umieszczenie wartości rejestrów AUDF1-4 w odpowiednich licznikach oraz zapoczątkowanie zliczania.

Dodatkowo zeruje przerzutniki odpowiedzialne za generowanie dźwięku."

Na forum AtariAge byl caly duzy watek poswiecony technicznym aspektom tego zagadnienia - trzeba by go odszukac.

Nie jestem tylko pewien czy emkay jest wdrozony we wszystkie rozwiazania koncepcyjne jakie zostaly opisane, czy wstepnie tylko zasygnalizowane, bo glownym wyrazicielem tego pomyslu byl ktos inny (Analmux).
    • 21: CommentAuthorseban
    • CommentTime18 Aug 2013

ja tylko przypomnę iż Święty napisał daaawno temu emulator SID-a na małe Atari, gdzie namiętnie wykorzystywał sporo tricków związanych z dźwiękiem, resetowaniem rejestrów pokeya (aby udawać PWM, etc). Było o tym trochę dyskusji na Atari Area. Dawno to było... już nie pamiętam wszystkich szczegółów, ale jak na softwarowy emulator to i tak wyszło całkiem nieźle :)

Dla przypomnienia: ->link<-
    • 22: CommentAuthornodez
    • CommentTime18 Aug 2013

wracajac do tematu ciekawe jak emkay na rmt resetowal timery (o ile tym sposobem osiagnol taki efekt)
    • 23: CommentAuthoremkay
    • CommentTime18 Aug 2013

@seban
    You cannot compare a software music player with a running emulation of a different chip . The music player uses 5% of the CPU, the emulation leaves 5% of the CPU for doing something.

@nodez
    There is no active reset of the timers. It's just a technical fact that the waves get shorter, when playing higher pitches. If you play the highest Pitch 2 times, the 2 filter voices get fully related (they cancle each other fully). Change the pitch of one channel for a short time, to get a different relation of the two channels. Use the filtered channel for some modulations, or keep the 2nd channel on to build real modulated sounds.
    If you have this done one time, the relation of sounds keeps for a long time the same. That's why you can do controlled filter sweeps then.
    • 24: CommentAuthorseban

@emkay: I know. I only give the software example which use STIMER register to achieve the square-wave with period different to 50%.

The other example with software generated PWM square-wave is here: ->link<- (listen to the bass-line)

But as You told before this kind of player, uses more CPU time, but in my opinion sounds great too :)

I know what you want tell me, but here we have different problem. If you can provide source RMT files as examples, there will be more understanding from musicians (example instruments, and example songs). As "wieczór" told You, one example gives more understating of your technique and tricks that You used, than thousands of you-tube videos.

with greetings
    Seban/Slight
    • 25: CommentAuthornodez
    • CommentTime18 Aug 2013

examples good idea
    • 26: CommentAuthorseban
    • CommentTime18 Aug 2013

a skoro już dyskutujemy o różnych nowych brzmieniach, to ja może wyciągnę z "wora ze starymi źródłami" jeden przykład, kiedyś dawno temu jeszcze przed Overmind gdy z SoTe robiliśmy sobie wewnętrzne współzawodnictwo typu "kto napisze fajniejszego" trackera i każdy z nas eksperymentował z dźwiękiem i brzmieniami powstała idea takiego skrzyżowania soft-synyh (2 kanały) + digi (1 kanał) + jeden kanał "pure POKEY"... nawet tracker zaczął powstawać, ale SoTe trawiony ciekawością nowego brzmienia testowo napisał sam player aby przetestować teoretyczne możliwości brzmieniowe, jako że nie było możliwości żadnej edycji/komponowania, SoTe skonwertował pierwszy z brzegu moduł... i od razu na początku przepraszam za jakość sampli (szczególnie świdrujący w uszach za głośny hi-hat), i źle dobrane głośności poszczególnych tracków, ale pamiętajcie iż to był tylko eksperyment... a brzmiało to tak:

->link<-

i mimo utylizacji CPU w 99%, da się jeszcze podczas grania pokazać grafikę, dodać logo scroll, etc. :) Miało być w napisach końcowych Overmind, ale czasu i chęci zabrakło aby to dopracować :)

ps) śmieszne ale usłyszycie to po prawie 18-tu latach leżenia na dysku :)
    • 27: CommentAuthornodez
    • CommentTime18 Aug 2013

no niezle toto gra
    • 28: CommentAuthorxxl
    • CommentTime18 Aug 2013

niezle? genialnie!
    • 29: CommentAuthorxxl
    • CommentTime18 Aug 2013

mam pytanie: ten 1 kanal pure pokey to byly polaczone dwa kanaly w dzielkim 16bit?
    • 30: CommentAuthorseban

Hej!

W tym wypadku to był tylko tzw. synth (hi-pass), ale nic nie stoi na przeszkodzie aby były dwa kanały połączone w jeden 16-bit. Procedura odtwarzająca sample działa w "ciągu głównym", nie jest w żaden specjalny sposób optymalizowana, nie siedzi na stronie zerowej, etc. czas jej wykoania mieści się dwóch liniach ekranowych. Synchronizowana jest przez CMP $D40B. Player muzyki (track, pattern, note, obwiednie/ADSR) siedzi na VBL. Jest uproszczony do bólu, chodziło tylko o sprawdzenie brzmienia. Sample nie są poprawione, tylko skonwertowane 1:1 z pliku .MOD (stąd wnerwiający hi-hat, albo to co z niego zostało). Sapmle-rate części digi/soft-synth to ~8KHz. Nie próbowaliśmy wtedy z tego wyciągnąć 15KHz (jedna linia ekranowa), może by się dało :)
    • 31: CommentAuthorAdam
    • CommentTime18 Aug 2013

Brzmi świetnie (poza hi-hatem ;)).
    • 32: CommentAuthoremkay
    • CommentTime19 Aug 2013

@seban
    What's missing in the tune is simply that what I try to propose. Some finer variations in the synth would have made the tune 100%. The controlling of the channels cost almost nothing... just some additional cpu cycles.
    Well, such a Tracker is really missing. As you could tune POKEY's channel even better, if one Digi Channel is running in parallel.
    • 33:

CommentAuthoradv
    • CommentTime21 Aug 2013

Brzmi... aż mnie zatkało!
    • 34: CommentAuthoremkay
    • CommentTime8 Sep 2013 zmieniony

This on uses one correction for the arpeggios every track pattern. It's where you can hear the breaks.
    It's all about modulations.

Sh... Youtube nags me for the used tune.

Btw. you hear 3 modulated voices in there.
    • 35: CommentAuthoremkay
    • CommentTime8 Sep 2013

Imagine one added digital channel ;)
    • 36: CommentAuthornodez
    • CommentTime8 Sep 2013

ogien ! ogien !
    • 37: CommentAuthoremkay
    • CommentTime8 Sep 2013

Here a comparision, with "no correction brakes, the arpeggios get uncontrollable.
    And some slight volume change on the "melodic" instrument.

Fact is: If you controll the timing between the voices, you get better music anytime.
    • 38: CommentAuthornodez
    • CommentTime10 Sep 2013

faktycznie bez korekcji brekuf gra jak kupa
    • 39: CommentAuthornodez
    • CommentTime10 Sep 2013 zmieniony

how you controll the timing emkay ? ... its big diferent betwen break and no break tune ...
    • 40: CommentAuthoremkay
    • CommentTime10 Sep 2013

It's really that simple:

Playing the filter-depending voices at the highest pitch for a short time. Then set one of the voices for another short time to a different pitch and back.
    • 41: CommentAuthoremkay
    • CommentTime11 Sep 2013

The "short time" is depending on how fast POKEY is working. You could count 32 cycles, either on the PAL and NTSC Machines.
    To make the Results in RMT better, the POKEY libraries still have to be changed. The Altirra sound emulation is much more close to the original, if someone could add them to RMT ... The results would get less experimental already.

• 42: CommentAuthoremkay
    • CommentTime13 Sep 2013

This one sounds inside RMT a bit softer, particular the start.
    But the "cancelling" is at a different timing point, so Altirra plays it different. Using the Altirra emulation inside RMT would be the solution...

This piece is also different as it uses single VBI Speed. It COULD be used in any game.

• 43:

CommentAuthorxeen
    • CommentTime13 Sep 2013 zmieniony

It perfectly fits the Turrican or Jim Power ;) I like it...
    • 44: CommentAuthormariuszbox
    • CommentTime13 Sep 2013

Parallax break i logical 3 z poprawkami emkey'a brzmią super.
    • 45: CommentAuthoremkay
    • CommentTime14 Sep 2013 zmieniony

Nice, to read you like it .
    Remember Miker did the main conversion job.
    I'm just experimenting with POKEY's abilities.
    Would be even nicer to have some more tunes from 3 channel YM converted to RMT, for additional experiments :)

For some comparision:
    In this one I made the starting part instrument a bit more precise and the release a bit softer. So it was possible to bring a bit more impulse into the floating of the tune when all channels start.
    Also, I made the high filter part using a sharper timing.
    Now listen to the "floating" of the tune.
    Do you like it more or less?

• 46: CommentAuthoremkay
    • CommentTime14 Sep 2013

What I'm trying to show here is that POKEY can do adjustments far beyond 8 bit resolution and 4 bit volume.
    The only missing part is in the low sound range.
    A real supporting tracker for both features may bring real music to the Atari.
    • 47: CommentAuthorseban
    • CommentTime14 Sep 2013

This tune sounds cool! Nice instruments! :) it's nice to hear new waveforms generated by POKEY :)
    • 48: CommentAuthorxxl
    • CommentTime14 Sep 2013

.xex ?
    • 49: CommentAuthorseban
    • CommentTime14 Sep 2013 zmieniony

@xxl: that's the problem. we have only You Tube examples for all emkay tunes, and some words describing this techniques from the author.
    • 50: CommentAuthoremkay
    • CommentTime14 Sep 2013

OK. Not sure , if it is useful to upload an exe, because it is not really finished, but if you want to try it...