atarionline.pl Mortal Kombat demo - Forum Atarum

Jeśli chcesz wziąć udział w dyskusjach na forum - zaloguj się. Jeżeli nie masz loginu - poproś o członkostwo.

• :
  • :

Vanilla 1.1.4 jest produktem Lussumo. Więcej informacji: Dokumentacja, Forum.

• 1:

CommentAuthorpsychonaut25
    • CommentTime7 Sep 2012 zmieniony

Hi there. I'm just wondering if anyone knows where to find a demo called Mortal Kombat. I have seen it about 3 years ago and now I can't find it.

• 2:

CommentAuthorxeen

->link<-

luckily the title is on your screenshot :)
    • 3: CommentAuthorwieczor
    • CommentTime7 Sep 2012

Scroll text improved my mood for rest of day : "Game should be ready about December 96" :))) And I can't understand why they are boasting that graphics has been drawn from scratch, not transferred from PC... While it's supposed to be the same it's just lost of time (as everything is ripped out in network as GIF's) that they could spend for working on actual game... It seems that it could be better idea as they haven't finished it :D But it shows also that without VBXE it can be done .
    • 4:

CommentAuthorKaz
    • CommentTime7 Sep 2012

And I can't understand why they are boasting that graphics has been drawn from scratch, not transferred from PC...

Kiedys bylem u Virusa w domu i tez z duma mi pokazywal animacje do atarowskiego "MK", ze sa oryginalne... To chyba lepiej niz prymitywna konwersja?
    • 5: CommentAuthornodez
    • CommentTime7 Sep 2012

tak czy inaczej giery niema :/
    • 6: CommentAuthors2325

Na Sega GameGear+Master System 3 części tej gry wyglądają i działają słabo, a byłoby lepiej gdyby postacie ktoś narysował od nowa. Takiego zadania podjęli się piraci wypuszczający Mortal Kombat dla klonów Famicoma, niekiedy z efektem niezamierzenie komicznym, a niekiedy według mnie bardzo dobrym.
    Hi. Doing 4colours bitmap mode and even moving large 'guys' sprites it's simple (no pf2/pf3 clash and 128chars/charset issues and more cycles/cpu available). Just this primitive simple programming can be seen on the game Barbarian. Problem it's the next step: how to add colour to the large sprites with our limited 4 only pmgs. Apart of this, there is another Mortal Combat try (same author?) that I remember has the same traditional 4colours but in blue(s) and this time only gfxs but scrolling(?). It has the ground and the mountains... Anyone remembers? Screens or file where?
    • 8: CommentAuthornodez
    • CommentTime7 Sep 2012

przeciez jest mk na atari :)
    • 9: CommentAuthorwieczor
    • CommentTime8 Sep 2012

@Kaz: nie wiem co lepszego w tym od tzw. prymitywnej konwersji, która nota bene nie jest wcale trywialna ani prymitywna. Zrobić z 256 kolorowych sprite'ów 4 kolorow prostą operacją się nie da - ale da się zrobić procedurę, która zrobi to porządnie. Tzn. bez problemu pozmieni cieniowane postacie np na konturowe. Efekt będzie ten sam - będzie wyglądać jak narysowane, tylko zrobi to komputer a ja oszczędzony czas mogę wykorzystać na robienie gry.

Oczywiście manualny retusz będzie konieczny ale to zawsze retusz i o wiele mniej czasochłonny

Jak widać zagadnienie nie jest od czapy, bo panowie zapewne ugrzęźli w konwersji grafiki tak beznadziejnie (a jest tego w MK od cholery), że sił i zapału na grę już im nie starczyło.
    "Primitive" because back in time programmers usually start with black and 3 shades of gray (you can see this on many dated prototype like Blood Fighter, Mr.Plum,...). Sorry, it wasn't a critic.
    • 11: CommentAuthorwieczor
    • CommentTime8 Sep 2012

I am a programmer, so I know how it looks like :) Just asking if it makes a sense to draw everything from scratch to get as close to original as possible anyway... :) I can convert existing sprites to looking good 4 colors in time definitely less than drawing them :) And I'm not a graphic :)
    • 12:

CommentAuthorKaz
    • CommentTime8 Sep 2012 zmieniony

Wieczor, w roku 1996 przeniesienie z PC grafiki w 256 kolorach i znacznie wyzszej rozdzielczosci do 4 kolorow moglo oznaczac tylko jedno - fatalny efekt, bo metody konwersji byly prymitywne. Dlatego dziwi mnie Twoje zdziwienie, ze chlopaki z Pentagram woleli zrobic cos porzadnie i zdecydowali sie na animacje rysowane od zera.

Co do przyczyn porzucenia projektu Virus mowil, ze dopadla ich proza zycia, studia, brak czasu, etc, a nie brak checi czy zapalu.

wieczor:

da się zrobić procedurę, która zrobi to porządnie. Tzn. bez problemu pozmieni cieniowane postacie np na konturowe. Efekt będzie ten sam - będzie wyglądać jak narysowane, tylko zrobi to komputer

A mozesz zaprezentowac, ze to jest proste, czy to takie gdybanie? Bo mogloby sie przydac w kolejnych projektach.

wieczor:

a ja oszczędzony czas mogę wykorzystać na robienie gry.

Robisz jakas? Trzymam kciuki :)
    Ale i tak uwazam, ze dobra gra to jest taka, ktora ma rysowana grafike, a nie konwertowana automatem.
    Hi, I had some ideas on the past but never tried to get something.
    But with your talking I get it a go.
    It is a little bit dificult to explain all here with the pictures because of Polish and there are things in the way we post and Attach pictures that I never understood.

Because we are a large family then how much more will see beter (maybe someone appears) I posted at AtariAge some minutes ago:

->link<-

I hope you all understand because my English isn't very good...

I hope you understand and you're free to answer here or there.
    Another thing:
    "Wieczor" I don't understand as the Google Translation into Portuguese or English isn't always the best one... Are you doing something to convert Mortal Kombat into A8?
    If I can help or you want more informations about it there's my E-Mail here at AOnl or you can also send me a Personal Message at AtariAge.
    Thanks"

Greetings to all.
    José Pereira
    • 14: CommentAuthorwieczor
    • CommentTime8 Sep 2012

It was just figure of speech :) No, I'm not doing it, just said that IF I would be them :) Then I could spend more time on development :) I made no code for 8-bit Atari for a years - forgot probably more that I ever learned... Now I'm trying to get back - for now just doing music, but there will be a time when I'll code something again. There are plenty games to be converted :)

I'll try to find a while to show how it can be done using Fireworks and some other tools - indeed at 96 it could be more complex, but still possible - I just had an impression reading that scroll, that they are proud of staying away from importing, with no specific reason ;)
    We can get the better looking 2x1 GameBoy version in GR.15 4colours and have some DLIs (Like the Floor on the bottom).

Top Status Area it's 40bytes wide Char-Mode 5colours like this:
    -> P0/P1 Left energy bar underlay (P2&P3 are the right Player bar).
    -> Each of the Enemys in the coloured version has a skin/clothe particular colour(s) (here one it's Brown luminances and the other Orange luminances)

The Playing Area we have:
    BACKGROUND: Black or Dark Pale Green (colour14)
    PF0 Light Gray
    PF1 Dark Gray
    PF2 Pale Green Medium or Gray Medium

To get colours we can have:
    Two Players useed to overlay each of the guys, like this:
    -> P0 for the left player face and P2 for it's shooting
    -> P1 for the right player and P3 for it's shooting
    -> No PF3 because we are on Bitmap mode leave us with the 4Missiles to have 8pixels and another colour.
    And what are we missing? The Blood. So PF3 set to dark Red and it's 4Missiles as 5th Player Hardware sprites only can multiplex 'lots of Blod all over the screen).

About the guys:
    Of course these are just '2x' extended and they have to be same tall but less fat.
    Done by hand and a mix between this shades and the size of the unfinished version on the top.

And now the question:
    "Do we have cycles/C.P.U. for all this?
    I think we have because we are on Bitmap Mode... Not using Music like the unfinished version but just the 'hurt' effects will get us cycles to mover over gfxs and not only 'clean Background (00)'.
    Some more trick to get cycles for the scrolling and the PMGs (that are used in not many scanlines)

Now you'll see a totally possible Mortal Kombat on A8 with the guys same taller but less fat, indeed the way they are now also beneficts in the cycles/C.P.U. as they are in the lines of other games.:

I think I am starting to really like this and have all the screens/levels this way and if anyone interested it could be a very good port/convertion into A8.

(We can even do this as static screen if we don't have cycles for the scroll)

P.s.- Kaz can you put the image visible?
    Thanks.
    And the Selection Players screen idea works like this:
    Again, it's all in 4colours, this time just all Gray(s) as it seem beter, then PM0/M give us the 'contour' of the guy we have selected, P1 the '1' number and P2 the underlay(s) of the Player own skin colour (again, this oner it's Pinkish (Liu Kan) but others can be Brownish (like on the screen(s), Scorpion for example),...
    José, forgive me for an off-topic quetion, but on AA you have a very interesting avatar. It looks like Atari version of StarQuake with sprite coloured sections. Is it just a mockup screen, or did you work (or finshed) such a modded version? StarQuake is one of my most favourite games, I cannot miss playing yet another version of it, if it exists.
    Hi.
    It's one more of my tries and trying to find a coder...
    It will work if someone get the original and redone it, like this:
    Substitute the guy Hardware PMG 2x1 into 1x1 soft sprte with PMGs overlays.

The Top status Area it's just a beter 1x1 ratio with PMGs to add colour.

Have some PMGs underlays to colour some of the screen gfxs.
    All the Enemys can be the original code as they are still the 1x1 software sprites.
    It's exactly the same as Tezz is doing on it's Manic Miner port.
    Here even beter has the original code and all the Data for the gfxs and sprites on a8 exixts.
    You just have to set new colours/DLIs for each screen and underlay some PMGs expanded quadruple width to some screen gfxs.

You can find my posts about that here:
    ->link<-

So, like a coloured Manic Miner on a8 it's possible... We on A8 think that we can always have to have just 1colour and one of the same colour luminance in GR.0 & GR.8... And this isn't true!

(P.s.- I also have about 2or3 years ago showed this way, when Tezz started Manic iner port the same way so that we can get a good looking and colouful SABOTEUR).
    Saboteur and some Monty Mole's tries for you to see A8 possibilities to get colourfull looking 1x1 ratio games:
    ->link<-
    Thanks José. I think it is worth a separate thread here. Give me a minute to create it.